Thursday, July 9, 2015

Through the Lens Thursday -- DIY Ribbon Camera Strap

Happy Thursday!  I have been having tons of fun with my camera this summer, and I have successfully avoided my auto setting so far!  Since I'm spending so much time with this thing slung around my neck, I figured it was high time to dress it up.  Today I decided to try a DIY camera strap alternative to personalize my camera, and I think I like how it turned out.
Here's how I did it:

1.  Choose a spool of ribbon.  I chose a spool of Offray decorating ribbon with wire edges.  I love how the ribbon looks next to my black camera body, but when I raise my camera to take a picture, the stiff wire sides rise up like wings, and I look as though I would fly away into the sunset.  If I were to do this again, I would probably choose a soft organza ribbon with satin edges or an entirely satin ribbon that would lie flat. 

2.  Cut the ribbon to an appropriate size.  I cut my ribbon to exactly 110", and this length works great for my 5'7" height.  The camera doesn't hang so low that it sucker-punches me in the stomach with each step I take, and the strap isn't so small that it gets stuck around my forehead when I try to put it on.

3.  Thread the ribbon through the camera.  My camera has two little metal hooks for a camera strap, and this is where I threaded the ribbon.  I folded the ribbon in half lengthwise twice so it could fit through the small opening.  I pulled the ribbon through so that the ribbon between the two hooks was long enough to go around my neck, and the extra ribbon on either side of the hooks was longer than the distance from the camera to the back of my neck. 

4.  Tie a bow.  I took the extra ribbon and tied it in a bow so that the ribbon is double-enforced around my neck.  Ta da!  I'm not entirely certain how long I will keep the ribbon strap (as I prefer to photograph from the ground), but it's a cute accessory for the time-being. What are some fun ways you accessorize your camera?

No comments:

Post a Comment