Thursday, June 25, 2015

Through the Lens Thursday -- Waterproofing Photography at Its Finest

I love Maine.  I love the bright blue skies and fluffy, cottony clouds.  I love the rustic pines and see-to-the-bottom lakes.  I love everything about this state, and I'm so thankful to have visited this summer.  I knew that I had to capture the peaceful, pine-smelling, blueberry-blue tranquility of the lake, but I was a tad nervous about taking my camera on a canoe ride because cameras don't grow on trees, and if this one ended up swimming with the loons, I might have a tricky time convincing my hubby to buy another.  Also, I have a vivid image of my aunt flailing in the water next to a canoe with a camera over her head.  Here she is after the fall.


Thankfully, my aunt's flailing limbs were not in vain.  My hubby and I came up with a super simple system (alliteration!) to keep the camera safe on the water in-between photos.  First, we placed the camera in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and zipped it closed to seal out the water.  Next, we placed the bag in a Tupperware container and sealed the lid.  I tested the container on the water's surface, letting it go ever so slightly before the lake assured me that the camera contraption would, indeed, float.  Then I caught the camera and packed it in the canoe.  I am so excited with how this lake picture turned out, and I can happily assure any naysayers that my camera was secure, dry, and floaty.  I can't wait for my next on-the-water photography adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment